We have submitted our commentary to Spectrum Operations (Industry Canada) regarding the consultative process for cell tower regulations. We sincerely hope this is one step closer to much needed legislative change regarding cell towers in Canada. We advocate a connected community, but in a structured manner that promotes public health and safety.
We would like to thank many of you who participated in the process by signing our submission to Industry Canada and demonstrating community support of this initiative!
The key features of our feedback are:
1. Setback of 200m from residential and sensitive land use areas. This is currently part of the Town of Oakville Interim Protocol and FCM/CWTA Joint Protocol but needs to be enacted as a crucial step in this entire process as these protocols are not binding documents by law.
2. Site and zoning authority of the LUA (Land-use authority or municipality) as part of the pre-approval process. Thereafter, site plans and inspection and post-installation inspection.
3. Notification to LUA’s and communities for all proposed communications towers regardless of the height, including modifications.
4. Public access to this information – we appreciate that the Town of Oakville has updated this information and is committed to keeping the information updated where possible. Currently the public does not have access to Industry Canada’s list of existing and proposed communications towers.
5. An open and inclusive process regarding objections by either LUA or community. A “Letter of Comment” may be submitted to Spectrum Operations, but no feedback, investigations or formal review process is in place.
We have strived to give meaningful feedback while keeping it relevant, reasonable and in the best interests of the community.
If you have any comments or questions regarding our commentary, the current status of legislation regarding cell towers or information about cell towers in your area, please do not hesitate to email us, contact us on Facebook, twitter, the blog or just leave a comment below! We value your feedback.
Did you know Oakville is #4 in the top 10 places in Canada to raise children? And we have the same number of cell towers per 10,000 people as that of Toronto!
Keeping our community safely connected,
Concerned Residents of Oakville
“We stopped the Bell-Drago Tower”